TIPS TO PREP YOUR NATURAL HAIR BEFORE GOING TO A NIGERIAN SALON FOR YOUR NEXT PROTECTIVE STYLE APPOINTMENT


So today's post was inspired by a recent salon visit I had, I honestly hate going to salons in Nigeria and this is because most of them focus more on the hair styles and not your hair itself. 

The whole reason I finally decided I was going natural was because I had spent almost a year trying to grow and keep my relaxed hair healthy, it had grown really long and for some reason I was just too tired to relax my hair myself and even though I was scared I still went. 
My hair was so damaged that I decided I won't relax it again or at least will never go to a salon to do it.

I hardly do long term protective styles honestly, I mostly really enjoy rocking my natural hair styles but once in a while, especially when I know I may not have the time to properly look after my hair, I do opt for long term protective styles or just wear wigs. I personally am not a huge fan of wigs, I just don't like the idea of someone seeing a hottie in the morning and seeing someone else later on and be shocked, so I rather be the same person all day. That being said wigs are honestly the best way to go when you want to give your hair some rest.

If you are like me however and you like braids and sew in hair extensions, please there are certain steps to take before you go to the salon for that next braid appointment or sew in appointment in Nigeria.

N. B: I ADVICE NOT MAKING THIS A REGULAR THING IF YOU ARE ON A HEALTHY HAIR JOURNEY, HONESTLY I HAVE SALON VISITS LIKE 4 TIMES IN A YEAR, MOSTLY CLOSE TO MY NEXT TEXTURIZER APPLICATION TIME.

  1. PICK WELL: First rule is go to a stylist that listens to you and you feel is easy to talk to.
  2. PLAN AHEAD: keep in mind that the preparation for your salon visit will require some time to make sure everything is in place. I like to plan a week ahead so I am not overwhelmed, so you do not use one day and destroy six months of haircare.
  3. DIY: Do your regular WASH DAY routine at home, It is honestly never advisable to take your natural hair for washing at most salons, except you are going to salons that specialize in natural hair. Most salons in Nigeria don't have that patience or time to properly treat your hair well to minimize breakage. So make sure you shampoo your hair well firstly, In fact when I know I am going to be braiding or doing a sew in, I pre-poo (even if with a hair oil), shampoo, condition (just to enable me detangle) and then deep condition, basically the whole shebang.
  4. STRETCH OUT: Next will be immediately after deep conditioning and drying your hair damp . You need to start sectioning your "damp" hair in small pieces (use a SPRAY BOTTLE to reapply moisture if it your hair starts drying out), apply a leave in or any moisturizer you have, seal in with an oil and make something that will stretch out your hair. This could be a bantu knot or single braids or twist, just anything that will stretch out your hair. Personally I prefer bantu knots and single  braids or flat twists. Please always sleep with a satin bonnet so you don't waste all that moisture. I will advice you give your hair a good two days to completely dry out or dry your hair on cool  heat with a blow drier. The goal is to get your hair stretched out and still moisturized in the most healthy way possible.
  5. DOUBLE CHECK: Even after you have adhered to this still take your detangler/leave in to the salon and tell the stylist to use it whenever she gets to sections that feel a little challenging to detangle, (my favorite right now is the tangle and taming leave-in from beautiful textures, it gives my hair so much  slip). This is where the first rule comes in handy. Make sure you go to a stylist that actually listens to you and doesn't feel like they know your hair better. 
  6. ONE STEP AT A TIME: A good tip is also to tell the stylist to loose only the sections they wanna walk with and leave the rest to avoid shrinkage.
  7. GIVE YOUR HAIR A BREAK: Last but not the least, do not make this a habit, give your hair space to breathe ever so often.
  8. ENJOY

Thank you for reading today's post. Please feel free to ask any questions also you can drop your email so you don't miss out on any blog post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment