WHAT IS BEST TREATMENT FOR ACNE/PIMPLES AVAILABLE IN NIGERIA



If you are here, I believe like me you have battled with the question. What is the best acne or pimples treatment available in Nigeria, fear no more, I am here to the rescue (so melodramatic).
Basically the major over the counter treatments available for pimples or acne are
  • SALICYLIC ACID
  • BENZOYL PEROXIDE
  • RETIN A 

we will be analyizing all three and you can try to figure out what works for you. PLEASE READ THIS POST TO THE END. 


RETIN A AKA RETINOL:



This works by exfoliating the heck out of your skin, it clears out dead skin cells really fast and so the idea is, it makes your acne or pimples heal really fast.

The issue with retin A or retinol creams available for treatment of pimples in Nigeria is the fact that it is not very great for people with sensitive skin. Retinol creams are usually either of a low grade or of high grade and if your skin is really sensitive getting the low grade retinol cream is a bad idea and sadly those are the ones widely available in Nigeria{LIKE THE ONE IN THE ABOVE PHOTO}, but if you have acne but your skin isn't sensitive this is a great buy, it will deal with both with you acne and hyperpigmentation at the same time.
It comes in different strengths 0.025, 0.05, 0,1%
Retin A also usually comes in either cream or gel form. I advice getting the gel form if you have oily skin and also starting from the lowest strength and work your way up.

SALICYLIC ACID



This is another acne treatment widely available in Nigeria. Neutrogena products dominate the Nigerian market and most of their face washes contain salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is described as a beta hydroxyl acid {bha} and also works by exfoliating the skin thereby reducing acne or pimples. I do notice with salicylic acid products, especially most Neutrogena products that they work at first, but once your skin gets used to it, your skin might get worse.
So like retin A, I recommend this to people who have acne but whose skins aren't really as sensitive. I recommended a Neutrogena product to my friend who had a few pimples and whose skin wasn't sensitive and it worked for her.

BENZOYL PEROXIDE:



I believe that benzoyl peroxide is the only topical medication that actually works by killing the bacteria causing acne or pimples. it kills 99.9% of the bacteria causing acne.
This unlike the other two is great for everyone weather you have a sensitive skin or not. In my opinion this is the only topical acne medication that really deals with the root cause of acne and once your acne is cleared, in as much as you are more careful with your skin you will be fine.
The problem I find with Nigerian versions of benzoyl peroxide is that they tend to be very high in percentage, BP comes in three strengths which are 2.5%, 5% and 10% and studies has proven that they all have the same effect on the skin but the 2.5% strength is less irritating to the skin, but unfortunately many Nigerian brands only carry it in 10% strength and typing from experience, it will work at first but will worsen your situation after.
The only brand of benzoyl peroxide that I recommend and use {not sponsored} is the ACNE.ORG BENZOYL PEROXIDE 2.5% luckily some online stores carry it in Nigeria, I just find that it can be expensive to buy in Nigeria. For or me I always have family coming to Nigeria on holidays, so I just order it online on amazon or the acne.org website and have them bring it to me or you could order to Nigeria they deliver to Nigeria, when my acne was severe I ordered the biggest kit but these days I just order the 8oz BP and it last me a year cuz I don't have to use it as often.. THERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE RIGHT WAY TO USE THE ACNE,ORG PRODUCTS ON THEIR SITE. 

SO LONG STORY SHORT MY WINNER WILL HAVE TO BE BENZOYL PEROXIDE FOR TREATING ACNE OR PIMPLES IN AS MUCH AS YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON ONE WITH A LOW STRENGTH OR YOUR SKIN CAN WITHSTAND THE ONES WITH HIGH STRENGTHS..

WHAT ACNE PRODUCTS HAVE YOU USED THAT YOU FOUND IN NIGERIA? LEAVE QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS BELOW. I LOVE HEARING FROM MY READERS.


2 comments:

  1. Hello...I have a few pimples buh nt with sensitive skin....buh i'm finding it difficult to get the best cream to use,all the one's i've used in d past turns out to be good at first buh le....nw looking to change to either nivea natural fairness or bronztone...any recommendation pls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on wat exactly you want your face cream to do. either to tone your face or treat hyperpigmentation or just to moisturize. can you kindly tell me. I would really love to help.

      Delete